Tuesday, August 9, 2011

How the Tiger wooed the Traveller

From: Hitopadesha (Braj)

One day in the forest  when an old tiger took a bath in the river, he found a gold ornament. He took it in his hand, came and sat down on the middle of the road. And after some time, on that road there came a traveler. When he saw the tiger, sitting on the road he trembled with fear.


The tiger saw him trembling and said - "Aho Mitra (O Friend) Don't fear me, I am sitting here to do a good deed. I have a gold bracelet that I want to donate"

The traveler thought to himself -"It seems lady luck is smiling down on me today. But the way in which she smiles is very suspicious. If nectar has even a little poison, its still harmful. There is no gain without pain, where there is hardship, there is fruit of labor, there are flowers only where there are thorns. There is no happiness without some sorrow, greed beckons me like a hidden snake but I should be very careful"

Thinking this the traveler said to the tiger - "Where is that bracelet?" The tiger opened his palm and showed  it.

Seeing it the traveler said "You are a ferocious beast, which kills animals and beings, how can I trust you?" The tiger said -"Arre Bhai! (O Brother), my claws and teeth no longer have any strength, why should you not trust me? ; Charity is a noble virtue. I have committed sins all my life but now I have given it all up and started studying religious texts. There are four types of charity -religious, obligatory, heartfelt and out of fear. But just as Lord Krishna said to Yuddishtara - "The donation to a needy is the best", so knowing you to be a poor traveler I decided in my heart that I should give it to you, value my emotions and accept the donation I make, go take a bath in the river so that we may complete the formalities"

Listening to all this the traveler was convinced. He went into the lake to bathe, and he got stuck there. The tiger started approaching him slowly, the traveler grew scared and asked him -"Why are you coming?" He said "We are running late, I am coming so that I can utter auspicious words and donate it here itself". But he came near, he pounced on the traveler and grabbed him, as the traveler was being dragged out, onto the bank, he thought to himself, "Even if an evil person takes to gaining knowledge, it doesn't change his nature. Regardless of the grass the cow eats cow's milk tastes sweet, its characteristic of the bee to sting I was stupid to have trusted the tiger's words, he did as what expected from him”.

Bina Bichaare Jo Kare, So Pacche Pachhtai
Kaam Bigare Aapno, Jag Main Hot Hansayi
Jag Main Hot Hansayi, Chitt Main Chain Na Paave
Khaan Paan Sanman Raag Rang, Manhi Naa Aave
Kahi Girdhar Kavi Rai Dukkh Kucch Tarat Na Taare
Khatkat Hain Jiy Maahin Kiyo, Jo Bina Bichaare

If you act without thought, you will repent later
Spoil your own work definitely, world will laugh at you
The world will laugh and you will have no peace
Good food to eat, respect, pleasures nothing will take it away
Says the poet Girdhar Kavi troubles will come if they have to do what you like
But what you do without thinking will be a thorn in your mind